Ian O’Connell completed a magnificent season in the Motorsport Ireland Rallycross Championship by taking his second overall event win in the sixth and final round at Mondello Park yesterday (March 4).
Champion elect George Tracey was absent from this event but, having won the first four rounds on the bounce, and made it to the Superfinal in round five before his Citroën Xsara was struck by clutch problems, could not be denied his first Irish title. When Tracey hit problems in round five it was O’Connell who stepped up to take the win and in the absence of the Supercar racer in the series finale, O’Connell won again. This time, however, the young racer had an old fox on his tail, two-times Irish champion Michael Coyne making his seasonal debut and demonstrating both his own ability and the competitive pace of his Vauxhall Nova by harassing O’Connell all the way. John Kelly placed third in his Mitsubishi Lancer with Willie Coyne placing fourth.
O’Connell had earlier won the Supernational class, the Coyne brothers this time led by Willie in second place with Michael third. Noel O’Brien took his sixth win of the year to complete his Stock Hatch championship campaign unbeaten, this time leading home Ciaran Murphy and Fergal Bowes. Eddie Peterson was successful in the 16v Stock Hatch category, Graham Colfer and Gordon Lynch completing the top three. The Junior category was won by James Fleming, Sophie Byrne and Dylan Curley completing the top three places. the RallyCar class was won by Patrick Donoghue.
- 1 Ian O’Connell (Lotus Exige) 4m 02.25s,
- 2 Michael Coyne (Vauxhall Nova) 4m 02.48s,
- 3 John Kelly (Lancer Evo 7) 4m 04.19s,
- 4 Willie Coyne (Opel Corsa) 4m 08.92s,
- 5 Gavin O’Connell (Ford Fiesta) 4m 10.10s,
- 6 Pearse Browne (BMW Compact) 4m 15.19s.
- 1 John Kelly (Lancer Evo 7) 3m 22.98s.
- 1 Ian O’Connell (Lotus Exige) 3m 23.13s,
- 2 Willie Coyne (Opel Corsa) 3m 29.61s,
- 3 Michael Coyne (Vauxhall Nova) 3m 30.04s,
- 4 Pearse Browne (BMW Compact) 3m 35.14s,
- 5 Dessie Tierney (Opel Tigra) 3m 35.86s,
- 6 Gavin O’Connell (Ford Fiesta) 3m 35.88s.
- Stock Hatch 16v
- 1 Eddie Peterson (Peugeot 106) 3m 40.03s,
- 2 Graeme Colfer (Peugeot 106) 3m 43.58s,
- 3 Gordon Lynch (Peugeot 106) 3m 44.20s,
- 4 Philip Lawless (Peugeot 106) 3m 49.15s.
- Stock Hatch 8v
- 1 Noel O’Brien (Peugeot 205) 3m 46.86s,
- 2 Ciaran Murphy (Peugeot 205) 3m 48.20s,
- 3 Fergal Bowes (Peugeot 205) 3m 49.66s,
- 4 Peter McGarry (Peugeot 205) 3m 51.97s,
- 5 Mark Halligan (Peugeot 205) 3m 52.97s,
- 6 Stephen Morrin (Peugeot 205) 3m 53.47s.
- 1 James Fleming (Toyota Starlet) 3m 57.37s,
- 2 Sophie Byrne (Nissan Micra) 3m 59.30s,
- 3 Dylan Curley (Toyota Starlet) 3m 59.87s,
- 4 Eamon Horan (Nissan Micra) 4m 03.11s,
- 5 Brian Mullins (Nissan Micra) 4m 04.82s,
- 6 James Huddleston (Suzuki Swift) 4m 06.75s.
- 1 Patrick Donoghue (Peugeot 205) 3m 27.23s,
- 2 Des Ryan (Opel Corsa) 3m 29.70s,
- 3 Thomas O’Rafferty (Opel Corsa) 3m 32.85s,
- 4 Peter O’Brien (Peugeot 205) 3m 53.86s,
- 5 William Tutty (Peugeot 205) 3m 55.59s.
« Previous Post Next Post »